Yesterday I got a call from a nurse at the Kasson Clinic, saying I had a message regarding Samantha, and I should call them back. I chatted with a different nurse who told me that Samantha's doctor was very concerned about her weight, and she'd gone from 15th percentile at 9 months to 4th percentile at 12 months. And while she was "sure" it was because she was walking and burning more calories (which I told the nurse wasn't true because Samantha wasn't walking by the time of her 12 month appointment), she wanted me to bring Samantha in for a weight check before her 15 month appointment. If she was still in the lower percentiles, we'd need to intervene before her 15 month appointment. So I made an appointment to have her weight checked on Tuesday, and we'll see what the doctor says then. I'm not worried, though. She is growing just like Julia did. After all, Julia couldn't be turned around in the car until she was 18 months, because that's when she finally weighed 20 pounds. So depending on how Tuesday goes and what the doctor says, I might just tell her, "No thanks. We're not worried about her." I mean, it's not like she doesn't eat. Last night for supper Samantha ate a hot dog, a hot dog bun covered in peanut butter, around 4 ounces of milk, and most of a slice of peach. I don't think she's not getting enough. Last Sunday she ate almost an entire slice of pizza for lunch, and she ate a half a grilled cheese sandwich (Julia only ate about half as much as Samantha at all of these meals).
Tonight is Julia's first night sleeping without her nuk. She's been napping at daycare without it for probably over a year now, but we haven't been able to convince her to go without at home. Neither of us wanted to snip the tip and "break" it, or "accidentally" lose it or throw it away. I think Adam and I were both in agreement that we wanted it to be Julia's decision. We'd tried bribing her at Christmas saying Santa would bring her a special nuk present if she left her nuk under the tree, but she didn't go for it. So tonight we tried again. I told her nuks were for babies, not big girls, and if she gave up her nuk she could pick out a special nuk gift. She asked, "Like Santa?" I said, "Yes, like the Santa nuk present." I told her we could ship the nuk to Santa, and she could go to the store and pick out almost anything she wanted, and that we'd send Santa the bill. She got such a happy excited look on her face! But she said she still needed her nuk. So Adam got a small trunk out and said it was a special nuk safe, and that we could put her nuk in there and no one could get to it. We even put it in her room so she could keep an eye on it. While getting her into bed, she tried to get her nuk. I told her she didn't need it, that nuks were for babies. I told her I'd stay with her until she fell asleep, if she wanted. We turned on her ceiling fan, turned on her mobile, and turned on her glow seahorse, and I left the room. She called for me a few minutes later and I went to check on her. She wanted me to stay with her. So I sat down and held her hand for a few minutes. Then she pulled her hand away a little. This whole time she was fighting to keep her eyes open. Finally, she said, " Leave now." I asked her what she said, and she said, "Go away." So I stood up, told her I loved her, and said good-night. She responded with a very sleepy "I love you so much" and reached out her hand. I told her I loved *her* so much and gave her a kiss on her forehead, and left the room. I haven't heard from her since. Here's hoping she makes it through the night and doesn't wake us up super early! But no matter what, I am so proud of my big girl! Oh, and she's basically potty trained! We tend to set a timer to remind her (and us) that it's time to go potty, but she rarely has an accident and even tells us when she has to go potty. Such a big girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment