Thursday, February 3, 2011

Unsceduled visit

Samantha had her first unscheduled doctor's visit on Tuesday. She had started getting really stuffed up Monday night. We moved her into her room (out of ours) in case the cats were causing the stuffiness. But she was still very plugged in the morning. She was snorting a lot, but managed to sleep. She wasn't eating well, but she couldn't breathe through her nose well, so that's understandable. In the early afternoon, Samantha was in her swing and I was painting Julia's dresser. She started crying in a non-normal cry. I went to check on her, and it really seemed like she was freaking out because of not being able to breathe. She had worked herself up into a sweat even. I took her temperature, and the highest it got was 97.9. So I gave the clinic a call. We got an appointment that afternoon and made our way into Rochester (I really need to switch the girls over to a doctor in Kasson -- a much shorter drive). We got checked in, and Samantha was weighed. She's up to 8 pounds 10 ounces now, having gained 8 ounces in the last week!



Samantha got checked out by the student first, and then the nurse practitioner. In the end, her lungs sounded fine, but her nose was really plugged. And since little babies have such small nasal passages, it doesn't take much to plug them up. The CNP got some saline drops into Samantha's nostrils, and that seemed to do the trick. I felt kind of silly having brought her in for something so simple, but I'm very glad I did. She's only 3 weeks, and who wants to mess around with a sick little baby? Plus, now I know how to help her breathe easier when we're at home.

Samantha is unfortunately starting to lose her hair. =( So far, it's just at the top of her head, and not the back. Just like her sister! We might have another "little old bald man" baby soon!

Julia has skyped with Grandma Barb and Grandpa Ron and Grandma Pam this week. She is usually very excited to "call Grandma." Last night while talking with my parents, she got sad both times we ended the call. =( She even blew kisses to Grandpa and Grandma, and then touched the screen where Grandma's face was.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure they told you, but be sure you only do the saline in one nostril at a time. Little ones can't breathe through their mouth well, so if you do both nostrils they can't breathe. We had to do saline for Ivy sometimes.

    I'm glad she is doing so well at gaining weight. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete